Aquatics - Stage 2 - Water Movement
Swim Basics for Preschool and School Age
Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills: swim, float, swim—sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide, and exit—and jump, push, turn, grab.
In Water Acclimation, Water Movement, and Water Stamina, students are taught the recommended skills for all to have around water including safe water habits, underwater exploration, and how to swim to safety and exit in the event of falling into a body of water. Activities, games, and drills, geared to reinforce learning, are utilized heavily as students progress in this skill-based approach to swimming.
1 / Water Acclimation Increases comfort with underwater exploration and introduces basic self-rescue skills performed with assistance.
2 / Water Movement Encourages forward movement in the water and basic self-rescue skills performed independently.
3 / Water Stamina Develops intermediate self-rescue skills performed at longer distances than in previous stages.
- Register in person at the Y or go online to www.ymcaywca.org for class descriptions and registration.
- Please contact Shelley Lechnir, Aquatic Director for
questions regarding placement in a level: [email protected] or 641-752-8658
- Stages are for both Preschool and School-age children. They are combined.
- All swimmers progress at an individual pace. Some may need to repeat a stage.
- If a class is full, please ask to be added to the waitlist. Classes will be added if possible. (Not a guarantee)
Y swim instructors are nationally certified. Their training includes CPR, AED, and First Aid. Swim lessons provide important life skills that could save a life and will benefit students for a lifetime.
SWIM LESSON CANCELLATION POLICY
The Marshalltown YMCA-YWCA reserves the right to combine class levels or cancel classes for insufficient enrollment.
Fall 1 & 2 2023 (T/Th/S 8wk)
Fall 2 2023 (M/W 4 wk)