Aquatics - Stage 4 - Stroke Introduction
Swim Strokes for Preschool and School Age
Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke techniques, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
In Stroke Introduction, Stroke Development, and Stroke Mechanics, swimmers have introduced to the four competitive swimming strokes as well as rescue skills and healthy lifestyle habits.
4 / Stroke Introduction Introduces basic stroke technique in front crawl and back crawl and reinforces water safety through treading water and elementary backstroke.
5 / Stroke Development Introduces breast-stroke and butterfly and reinforces water safety through treading water and sidestroke.
6 / Stroke Mechanics Refines stroke technique on all major competitive strokes and encourages swimming as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Register in person at the Y or go online to www.ymcaywca.org for class descriptions and registration.
- Please contact Shelley Lechnir, Aquatic Director for
questions regarding placement in a level: [email protected] or 641-752-8658
- Stages are for both Preschool and School-age children. They are combined.
- All swimmers progress at an individual pace. Some may need to repeat a stage.
- If a class is full, please ask to be added to the waitlist. Classes will be added if possible. (Not a guarantee)
Y swim instructors are nationally certified. Their training includes CPR, AED, and First Aid. Swim lessons provide important life skills that could save a life and will benefit students for a lifetime.
SWIM LESSON CANCELLATION POLICY
The Marshalltown YMCA-YWCA reserves the right to combine class levels or cancel classes for insufficient enrollment.
Fall 1 & 2 2023 (T/Th/S 8wk)
Fall 2 2023 (M/W 4wk)